When patients lost a tooth due to cavities or accidents, we always recommend to replace it as soon as possible. In this way, not only is the full functionality of the mouth recovered, but bone loss is avoided, and the aesthetics of the smile are recovered.
However, when that time comes, many people question whether to choose between dental implants or dental bridges. And it is that; which is better: a bridge or an implant? It is a persistent doubt, the result of ignorance about the two options.
Although both the dental implant and the dental bridge meet my needs, which is none other than replacing the missing tooth, however, if analyzed in-depth, it is no less accurate than both dental implants and dental bridges have a series of advantages and disadvantages that must be taken into account when making a decision.
What are dental bridges?
A dental bridge is a structure composed of a set of crowns, and that serves to simulate the shape of the teeth, that replace one or more missing teeth and is retained in the mouth because neighboring teeth wear out and receive a crown that has its once the missing tooth or teeth have been added to the framework. It is a procedure that has been carried out for years, and for a long time, it was the option to choose to replace a tooth fixedly.
What advantages does a fixed bridge?
- It is fixed and not removable.
- The aesthetic is favorable. There are no hooks.
- Its realization takes little time—a couple of weeks.
- It is cheaper than an implant.
- If the neighboring teeth (which will be abutments of the bridge) are damaged or decayed, they can be repaired with the same bridge.
What are the disadvantages?
- Tooth wear is quite a lot, so the bridge should always be your last option.
- It is irreversible. Once the wear is done, there is no going back.
- Difficult hygiene between the bridge and the teeth that wear out. It is not easy to floss to clean.
- If one of the abutment teeth fails, the entire bridge must be replaced.
- The bridge can weaken the abutment teeth (what is used to support the bridge).
- If you use it for many years, the bone where the tooth was will be resorbed, making it impossible to place an implant in the future.
The dental implants in India are the most modern treatment and currently the first choice among our patients as it has many more advantages. It is inserted into the bone through painless surgery. Subsequently, a crown is screwed on to that titanium cylinder which actually mimics the natural root so that no one notices that it has a dental implant.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
- It is fixed. Once placed and screwed, it is difficult to remove.
- There is no dental wear of any kind. It is the most conservative of all.
- The treatment with the highest probability of success in modern dentistry is approximately 97% effective.
- It can be cleaned between the teeth with dental floss as if it were a natural tooth.
- Aesthetically, there are significant results
- It does not carry hooks or palates, which makes it much more comfortable.
- It is very versatile. An entire mouth can be rehabilitated with just four dental implants, although there are no teeth. A titanium base is screwed onto these implants that support the whole denture.
What are the disadvantages of dental implants?
- The cost of implants is high, but in the long term, due to its high efficiency, it is worth the investment.
- The waiting time is longer than bridges since we must wait two months after the implant is placed to place the crown in the best of cases.So which one to choose?
Large-scale dental implants offer more advantages than fixed dental bridges. However, before deciding on one treatment or another, it is convenient to assess all the points for and against each one. It will be you and your dentist who determine what the best for you is.We suggest you attend a consultation so that with a series of x-rays and intraoral exams, we can determine which is the best treatment for you, taking into account each of the advantages and disadvantages that we present in this article. We hope it has been to your liking, and it helps you decide what treatment you require.