FOODS TO AVOID WITH BRACES
Having crooked can be annoying; not only does it alter the jaw structure, but it also lowers our confidence. Many doctors suggest dental braces to straighten crooked teeth; it helps align the lower jaw with the upper jaw, improving the smile’s aesthetics. It is excellent for our self-confidence too. But dental braces can be a little irritating, and you have to be very careful about anything you put into your mouth.
With modern technology, braces have become sturdier and resilient; however, if you are not careful enough with it, you might end up damaging it badly. Eating food is one of the necessities for life, but sometimes specific foods can cause damage to the components of the braces, like the wire, the rubber bands or the bracket of the braces.
So it is vital to know what type of food to avoid to keep the braces intact. After getting braces, the first thing that comes into our mind is what kind of food can we eat? Are we allowed to have our favourite cake or candy? Can we continue eating pizza every weekend?. Or is chewing gum now off limits? Other numerous questions come into our minds after getting braces.
Well, the good news is that you do not have to continue with a liquid-only diet and can enjoy a variety of delicious solid food. But the bad news is there is some food that you need to avoid.
Food that needs to be avoided
- Candy: Hard candies like candy canes and lollipops can cause your brackets to lose, which would be a huge inconvenience for your treatment, and you have to get your brackets tightened multiple times. So try to avoid hard candies at any cost.
- Chewing gum: Gums can be extremely chewy and sticky; if you chew gum while wearing braces, then the chances are that you end up sticking the gum in the brackets and the wires of the braces. It can loosen the frame easily.
- Nuts and potato chips: Nuts, potato chips, crunchy veggie, etc., are crunchy and can break the bracket off the tooth and bend the archwires, so it would be wiser not to eat them with braces.
- Hard food: Hard food like beef jerky, corn on the cab or pizza crust should be avoided with the braces on as it can break the bracket pretty quickly, and as a result, you have to go to the dentist again to get it fixed.
It’s not only about avoiding food; you also have to give up some bad habits that you might have to keep your braces safe.
- You cannot continue chewing pen or pencil.
- Stop biting your nails.
- You cannot continue with toothpicks; if there is something on your teeth, use dental floss.
Now that we are done talking about things that you cannot eat, here is a list of things you can eat with your braces on.
- Mashed potatoes
- Ice cream
- Boneless meat
So these are the few things that you should avoid if you have braces on; it may sound painful, but remember beauty is pain, and pain is gain. So if you are getting dental braces in Mumbai, you should be careful about your food choices.